Tuesday 18 November 2014

Cooked a couple of meals over my days off that turned out ok. High spot was probably the M&S £10 Meal Deal offer. A main course, side dish, dessert and a bottle of wine for a tenner. If you price it up you are effectively getting the wine free, so saving about £7. They have a new line in the 'Cook' range of Cod with a crumb topping and a sundried tomato sauce, which was very good. The duck breasts with plum sauce has lovely breasts [ouch!] but the sayce is waaaaaay to sweet and spoind the duck if spread over it. I served it with three times cooked chips and some green stuff [for visual effect]. M&S are doing a range of desserts that are shaped like a half base-ball [ie half a globe] with a sort of twirl effect radiating out from the top. There are three varieties, a white one, a red one and a pale choclate colored one and they retail at £4. There are two servings in each box, only one of which is visinle through the perspex 'window' of the box. I've bought them twice and on both occasions the soft sugar covering of the unseen pudding has been broken and in a mess when I opened the box; not something you want at £4 a tick. I checked all the boxes in the store the following day and they were all like it, so warning - don't buy 'em for your special Christmas meal unless you intend to serve it in a bucket. Quick shop story. A few months ago I was sorry to hear that George, one of our customers had been diagnosed with cancer and been given 'a year to live. I don't know him well - he's a footie supporter and chats with some of the other staff about the game - but still I was sad when Brenda [another customer] came up to me and said, "George died over the Weekend". I comiserated and said I would let my workmates who knew him better know. This I did over the next few days as I saw them. "Wow!", said Bruan, the young lad whp probably knew him best, "I knew he was sick but that was fast!" It therefor came as something of a shock when filling the milk shelves by the front door, I looked up to see George walking through it to but his paper as normal. Mouth open I stared at him [from a distance] and later, I pulled Brenda up when she too, came in. "Brenda - george is still alive - He was in this morning! Well to cut a story short, of course it had been a different customer who I'd no idea was called George who had died, and luckily I was able to put my workmates right before any damage was done, but it was close - one had bought a condolence card but just hadn't got round to sending it!

No comments:

Post a Comment