Wednesday 12 November 2014

Today while stacking the shelves with the chilled items from the days delivery I was given cause to muse upon the marketing strategies employed by the various producers of the provender we eat. The particular item that caused me to step back for a moment was a brand of sausages [currently on special offer, £2 for 6] that go under the name of 'Porky Whites'. Now four or five years ago a brand appeared on the supermarket shelves under the name 'The Black Farmer's Sausage', the packaging of which showed a sillhouetted figure [wearing a stetson if I recall correctly] standing against an orange-red sunset. The inuendo of the branding would have been obvious to all but the most nieve of individuals and no doubt caused some smiles [and indeed sales] as people encountered the make for the first time. Now I may be absolutely on the wrong track here, but I can't help but think that the subsequent later appearence of the 'Porky Whites' variety is not a coincidental to the earlier brand. 'Porky whites' sausages also feature a photograph on their packaging, but this time we see a 1930's style olde worlde picture, conjouring an image of a time when all was right with the world [as if!] and all butchers were known by the sobriquet 'Porky'. Again I may be on the wrong end of the bat here, but I can't help feeling that if the house-wives choice between the two would be 'The Black Farmers' [and why not, they're bigger] then Nigel Farrage's would be 'Porky Whites'. This all could be just wild speculation on my part; there might be no connection between the two brandings whatsoever and indeed the inuendo of the first example to appear may be all just my [questionable] imagination working in overdrive. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment